Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Internet Safety, Cyberbullying and PhotoStory 3...ACTION!

I created a Digital Storytelling project using PhotoStory3 to emphasize to high schoolers why internet safety and cyberbullying are important to be aware of, and how to be aware of both things.  I chose the topic because i thought it was the best way to introduce any of the technologies we have covered in this course, before actually getting in to any extra computer use - especially since each one asks students to be honest, and to put themselves "out there."  I felt that explaining that there are dangers "out there," how to identify them, protect ourselves and help others who have become victims, that i would be doing them a service, instead of hoping they'd had the "talk" already, or worse, doing it after there was a problem.  Here is the final product, and you'll find my reflection on the experience below it. 





I chose PhotoStory3 because it was easy to use, and free.  I could upload images, edit them, add narration, change the flow of the pictures, save as I went along, and import the final product with pretty much no hassle.  I used a Logitech headset with a built in microphone (which I've used every week for online gaming and VOIP chats for years) and was very happy with the narration results.  the only issue was the microphone settings didn't work within PhotoStory3 but I found I didn't change anything anyway, other than lowering my own playback volume on my headset.  The only issue I had was applying background music.  I use iTunes, and Apple and Microsoft seldom play together.  I had no problem adding a file in Animoto, but I had to download a program to convert the MPa format that iTunes uses into an MP3 format for PhotoStory3.  I used CNET as my download source because I've trusted that site for many, many years (great reviews, clean links, dad approved).  For anyone else needing the same service, HERE is a link to the program I downloaded.  It's lightweight, and fast.  And free!  As for my song choice, I went with Adele's "Rumour Has It" as a tongue-in-cheek nod to how rumors can make internet safety and cyber-bullying awareness so important.  I used Photo Filtre (and have for a very long time) to create the images that I was missing - primarily the links and tips.

What I liked about the Animoto project was how quickly it all came together, and I thought it would be an awesome tool for a very brief assessment, something mid-unit to give an additional format option.  What I liked about using PhotoStory3 was that it allowed for additional input - for each minute of finalized product, I spent about an hour fussing with settings, images, re-recording narration.  I like the thought of giving it as a format option for a final assessment.  It lends itself to group work as well, since the recording can be paused and picked back up, each slide or mid-slide.

Overall, I enjoyed using both Animoto, and PhotoStory3.  I was sort of at a standstill when the digital Storytelling project started, partly because I'm not in a classroom and was lacking some immediate inspiration, and partly because it was so open-ended - both things I plan to factor into an assignment that requests this kind of output - the inspiration being part of the unit or lesson, and the focus narrowed to specific areas.  I needed, however, the flexibility that a lack of focus provided, and I'm very happy with the outcome

The feedback from the VERY rough draft was more useful than I expected.  I had intended to use background music, but the majority of comments suggested it, and I think I like what it adds, especially the specific song I chose.  It was also encouraging to continue with the subject when everyone agreed on how important the topic was, so full speed, off I went

For the next digital story, I'm not sure if I would try yet another different format, since I really enjoyed what can be done with these two - but I think I'd aim for another Animoto that I could find many pictures for.  My first was limited, and I'm more confident with creating some now.

4 comments:

  1. Your final version is very well done and extremely informative. At the beginning of each school year we do a technology orientation for our freshmen regarding proer use, etc. This story could very easily be part of the oreintation as it provides the student with some great information in a clear and understandable format. Bravo on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, great topic for a digital story! As was said in class, this video is sure to elicit some strong discussions on the topic of cyberbullying. The information was informative and beneficial for people to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very right that we need to start this conversation early, prior to engaging our students in any type of digitally based project. Digital citizenship encompasses all of those real-world skills that our kiddos will need once they leave the security of our classrooms. You did an excellent job describing many of the tenants associated with digital citizenship. My only recommendation would be to limit/ condense the amount of text you have on each slide. Even for an older audience, it can be overwhelming to read. Perhaps, you might want to provide a condensed version of the rules and/or expectations in the video, and then supply a more detailed handout for students to reference. Just my two cents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic for a digital story. It was very informative and it will be a great springboard for a class discussion. I agree with the posts that this topic must be covered at an early age so students understand what bullying is, the legal ramifications and the effects it has on some one who is bullied. Hopefully you will be able to educate students with your own digital story. You did a great job explaining a very important subject.

    ReplyDelete