Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Discovery Education and Web 2.0

While Googling (and yes, I used Google to search :P) info and sites on Web 2.0 offerings to play with and blog about, I came across Discovery Channel's Discovery Education site complete with many great Web 2.0 tools.

This site is amazing!  It's like a mini Diigo library, with better annotations than I'd come up with, and many of them are sites that we've either played with in class, or have mentioned in passing.  I was stoked to see a varying array in one spot, categorized neatly.

What I liked the best though were the blogs referenced on the side, especially one that caught my eye titled Multiple Intelligences, Multiple Possibilities.  I've liked the Multiple Intelligence theory, I find it to be sound, how ever many ways you break it down, and really liked how the blog points out specific examples of using Web 2.0 offerings to help each style/intelligence.  Blogs and the like for the linguistic learners, soundboard abilities for the musically inclined, Prezis and Slideshows for the visual...these are the things I've been trying to categorize myself during the last year of classes, and I found this to be very insightful.  The other blogs are labeled well and are also pretty good reads.  Overall, the Discovery Education site is worth a Diigo bookmark!

I played around with Prezi a little bit while poking around, but I already have a Google Presentation I'm in the middle of for another class.  I look forward to playing with it more, possibly over the summer in another class.

I did play around with the Make Beliefs Comix tool.  I'm not sure how I'd use it in class, but it has some potential for storyboarding.  Here is a very quick and rough comic I made using it:
It has potential, and I didn't want to get lost in time messing around with it, but I whipped that up in less than 20 minutes - if a student had a little direction or a goal, they could probably make something fun with it.

3 comments:

  1. Real nice find Erika. I am discovering a lot of potential classroom resources from the Web 2.0 posts of our classmates and htis Discovery link has a plethora of great tools that I could utilize in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing to tell you about how much I love Prezi. I have not used Power Point in two years. Watching a presentation in Prezi will keep you engaged even if the topic is not so interesting!! The features are amazing. Now you can add voice narrations and embed the presentation into a blog. Play around with and it. I am sure you will use it for many upcoming projects and classroom lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, great find! I may "borrow" your idea and play around with the Make Beliefs Comix tool myself, for one of my web 2.0 posts! That looks really fun to use, and definitely strikes me as something that students would be eager to play with.

    ReplyDelete