Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Akin to hold music, something to read while I try to catch up...

I found this interesting little post while reading my news over breakfast, and found it to be timely, since I'm still working on finishing my narration. It isn't scientific, but it's true with what science it does mention. I've heard myself recorded enough that I'm beyond what it sounds like, but I still am not a fan of what apparently, everyone else hears. Of course, I've always liked to think I walk to my own drummer anyway... Why you hate the sound of your own voice

And for those reading this who are also still working on their projects, I found it helpful in the beginning to think of it as a student's voice, and focus on the breathing, evenness of quality, volume - and not worry on the pitch :)

Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting article. Not sure I agree with this line from it given all the tools now available to edit photos: "It’s kind of the same way we like what we see in the mirror, but not what we see in photographs." Actually, my voice sounds terrible to my own ear when I hear myself talking, and I am surprised it is not so squeaky when recorded. I was never quite sure which was the sound of my real voice. I thought I talked faster than I do when it is recorded, but probably slow down when recording. So much of what we say is also connected to our hand and body gestures, which gets lost when we just hear a recording, suggesting the need to work on our pitch and inflection when recording.

    It was interesting to read that Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, etc. don't listen to their voices in movies. I also found that hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard both actors in interviews repeat the comment, which is why I liked the article :) I remember my Senior photos, and the one I liked best was the one my mom hated, and visa-verse - exactly for the mirror comment. It may not be an exact match up, but it is funny how we hear ourselves, and see ourselves - and can love what we see and hear...and think what EVERYONE else sees and hears, and in some ways judges us by, is false :)

      Good comment on the body language - I hadn't thought of that!

      Delete
  2. Also, think when we record our voice, we need to be conscious of the quality of the microphone we're using. I sound "different" depending on the microphone and playback unit. Still, my voice on a recording is "different" from what I hear when I hear my self speaking. The article was helpful in understanding why this difference occurs. I also had the opportunity recently to see a 30 minute video we did last spring in EDUC 584 when we did a Skype. A student in the class did the filming, and she caught me more on camera than I realized. I usually am the one behind the camera. Anyway, I was surprised to see how I looked in a candid filming where I did not know I was being filmed. I looked "different" than I thought I looked. It was a strange feeling, like an out-of-body experience.

    ReplyDelete