Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Domo Animoto...

The missing link between PowerPoint and Youtube, I like the concept of Animoto, but it seems that it has been mostly ignored by the secondary educators - or there just aren't that many of us in comparison to the early childhood educators.

This use of an animoto for introduction of vocab for science made me think of using one for a vocab intro at the start of a new book, or unit.  It could be especially useful if the unit/book corresponded with cross-discipline topics.  Studying WWI in Social Studies, reading All Quiet on the Western Front in English, the geometry or physics of a battlefield.  Or when studying the English Renaissance, Shakespeare, metrics...

Another example, from the Animoto site on Civil Rights made me think of how to enhance even just one event that might be minimally covered otherwise, with some specific images and music to reinforce the importance of that event.  A third on the same site for Math was an example on what music NOT to use.  I didn't make it pass 10 seconds before I stopped the video.

I'm not sure if I will end up making a vocab presentation or one on an event, but I feel like I've narrowed it down to at least those two concepts...and the Animoto technology is growing on me.  I've seen some that move too slow (in my opinion) and some with music poorly chosen, but I like that with moving images, and words, and sound, you can get the attention of a range of learning styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment