Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Garden of Your Mind

It's been 45 years since Fred Rogers made a different kind of name for himself, and started helping children find out who they would be.  Despite TV still showing the kinds of programs he hated, the show that prompted him to create his own "Neighborhood," his impact is still felt, by our own generation, by the lessons he taught us that we hand down, and even by a few in this current generation who were able to see him before the end of the broadcast.

I've come across two videos today that made me not only reflect on the lessons he taught me, the same lessons I want to teach (especially to the older kids who may not have learned them when they were younger, and to my own child I can't wait to hold by the end of the year), but also on the reasons he had for doing so.

Today I offer educational tools of a different sort - something he'd have called food or flowers for the "garden of your mind." This video is tribute from the Symphony of Science and the PBS Digital Studio (something that could be a tool for the classroom!)



The second video is from his convincing speech in defending the need for funding for PBS.


Please tell me what he taught you, what you know you've passed on, what you hope to pass on because of him, and what legacy do you think you may leave?

2 comments:

  1. Loved Mr. Rogers! I was pretty little when I watched it - I actually didn't realize he defended PBS in front of the Senate, that's really cool. I was a little creeped out by the puppets, but I do remember learning about people in town, like the postman who used to visit occasionally. He taught us how important it was to be a member of your community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't known about the him and the Senate, though I was impressed there was a youtube of it still floating around (all hail the interwebs!). What was funny to me was that I reached an age where he made me angry because I felt like his soft voice was mocking me, and I wanted to be taken seriously. Years later, I watch him, and I regret missing a moment.

      Delete