Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Making music when talking history

There is a site I've run into a few times over the years, and I'm happy to see it stay relevant.  There is a channel on youtube from History teachers in Hawaii who take popular songs and remake them into music videos for unit topics.

When I was subbing, and the students would beg to listen to music, I would open this channel and watch to see how long it took for them to realize it wasn't what they were expecting.  I love each video, but one of my favorites is their video for the French Revolution:



Do you see any tie to how you'd use Animoto, or think there is a video they made you find exceptional?

8 comments:

  1. Erika,

    What a great site! I can't believe the creativity that exists out in the world. One thing I have to say about the digital age: we get to connect with a lot of creative people. I was a history major and this really resonates with me.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an addictive page - I watched all the videos in one night. It's one site I try to share with each Social Science/English teacher I come across :)

      Delete
  2. This site is awesome! What a way to make history come to life for students to become engaged with what they are learning. They even went the extra mile and made it into an actual production instead of posting the words to the music. So they are also giving students who tune in a visual of that time period as well. Hats off to these teachers in Hawaii!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me think of English assignments where the object is to make a parody of something or update a scene from Shakespeare and the like. I hope they keep making videos for awhile! I also hope people keep finding it as awesome as I do!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, hats off to the creative teachers in Hawaii. They have created an alternative method to educating students in all subject areas. This is why technology in education is so important to support. Connecting with other creative professionals and sharing ideas for student sucess is key. This video kept my attention and I am sure I could tell you something about the French Revolution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I learned something from it when I saw it the first time (I doubt I learned it all when I was in school; History was my worst subject!) I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. I love this site! What a great concept. Bookmarking for future use. I can see this going over well with high school students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been pretty receptive to it - eye rolls and all :) Happy to share!

      Delete