Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Teachnology

I'm enjoying the Richardson book - it's easier to follow, and makes good points.  The Sample Blogging Letter was a great example of introducing the blogging assignment to parents.  Also, the reminder that the internet is only 15 years old - I can remember having a PC always (Dad's been working on them since the 70s when he was in the military), but I also remember the D/OS prompts and Windows 1.X and floppy disks...which weren't very floppy.  I think an interesting assignment for students would be to spend one day logging what they did INSTEAD of using the internet/cell phone.  And as a follow up, a day logging EVERY time they did use current technology (as in, developed within the last 30+ years or something like that) and comparing the two days.

What other ways can students be introduced to the concept of something they take for granted?

2 comments:

  1. Some teachers have tried the experiment you suggest. However, some students admitted to sneaking and checking their cell phones.Certainly, the experiment makes for interesting discussion. We had a reading group on campus (faculty and students) and one of the topics was the experiment you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree some would "cheat" but I think that would be part of the hidden agenda for dialogue. As you said, some of these kids haven't lived without this level of technology available. I wouldn't tell them upfront it's ok to use them, haha, but I wouldn't deduct for it.

    ReplyDelete