Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In my own words...

We throw the term around, "computer literate," but there is very little discussion on what that literacy entails, or what other new literacy are developing because of new and increasing access to *technology.  Without thinking about how we do it, we find ourselves identifying questions we want answer to, navigating until we find them, analyzing the results, and sharing those results - and we do this every day, on our own, often turning off tutorial guides as they seem intrusive instead of instructional.

NETS for Teachers & NETS for Students offer standards we should be (and are being) measured against, as teachers and as students in our pursuit to be more knowledgeable in our surroundings.  at this point, I don't know what I don't know to ask a thought provoking question.  I'm sure those 2 sites will have more meaning for me in the weeks and months to come, but as of right now, they are a little overwhelming - and I think that's the biggest hurdle anyone has in dealing with these new literacies; is there a way to jump in that isn't a toe-step or both feet?

*If you mistype, and add a carefully misplaced "a" to technology, you get "teachnology."  I think that is the best typo I have ever had.  I plan to make this a word.  Teachnology - the technology used for educational pursuits, and purposes.  A quick Google proves it isn't yet a word.  I call Dibs, and Shotgun.  Also, I licked it.  Get your own word.  I'm currently waiting for Urban Dictionary to review my submission. /cheeky

**Urban Dictionary won't accept it.  I will try another method.  Teachnology will flourish!

5 comments:

  1. I love the word! It's something we all need to strive to incorporate into our classroom. No fair that Urban Dictionary won't accept it - I'll start using it anyway (giving credit to you of course - after all, you did lick it).

    Cristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it ever makes it anywhere outside of this blog, I'll share my cookies with you :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In many ways our students are older and more mature than we are when it comes to using technology. It is interesting to think that when it comes to deploying technology in the classroom they are in many ways the masters and we are the apprentices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! It might be nice to let them know that as an ice breaker, or when a confidence boost is needed.

      Delete