Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hunger Games Literacy Project

I chose to create a lesson around The Hunger Games, using an Animoto as the introduction tool, a blog as the class-discussion enhancement tool (running our own Arena, and requiring the students to use persuasive arguments to win the bid for District aid each day), and a digital story showcasing persuasive argument for who the winning District of our class should be as the final project.  Since I do not currently have a classroom of my own, the feedback I was given was verbal from some of my peers (other teachers of high school English, or those with some training in Higher Ed.)  I created an example of each stage of the lesson as my "show-and tell."  Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hunger Games Intro Animoto:




Hunger Games Discussion Blog:




Hunger Games Persuasive Argument Digital Story Example:


DomoNation.com: Hunger Games Digital Story Sample Final by emagdule

Again, any feedback, especially from those currently in a classroom, or those who have used similar tools, is very welcomed!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, I feel like you do really strong introductions; this one is no different. A lot of my colleagues have adopted this text into their curricula, and this project makes it clear why they have made that choice. I really love the idea of having students play through their own version of the Games as an exercise in persuasive writing. The text, from what I've seen, tends to really be a hit with students, and the idea of tying small-scale persuasive arguments into the reading allows for greater practice without seeming overly rigorous or forced.

    I feel like there's a lot of innovative use of technology (teachnology, hee hee) here that will really engage students in the text in a way that feels organic while still addressing the relevant educational standards for grade level (GLEs/GSEs here in RI, not sure what they are out in CT).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! And in CT they are CCSS-ELA (RL, W, and SL).

      Delete