Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Woman at Work: a Work in Progress


My Digital Story is an attempt at introducing the topics of internet safety and cyber-bullying to high school students.  I don't have a classroom currently, but I have observed similar discussions in high schools.  Ideally, these children, who have already had years of access to the internet, already know some rules to keep themselves and their computers safe.  It's my hope that the idea of cyber-bullying has also already been introduced, but I'm approaching both topics as if they may not have been.  I would use this before introducing new technologies (blogger, twitter for research, Animoto, or other Web 2.0 tools) as an ice breaker, and a brainstorming session to make sure the students would be practicing the right methods and strategies, in the school and at home, for work, or for recreation.

This is a VERY rough draft.  My purpose of this draft was to make sure I understood how to use PhotoStory3, and that each part of the technology I intend to use in the final version is working from my home computer with the equipment I have.  Additional images, and fleshed out narration will be added during the next week (when I don't have multiple midterms, observations, and a crazy work schedule!)  I wanted to see how well my microphone picked me up, get use to the recorded sound of my voice, and decided on pacing compared to what I imagined in my storyboard.

 

I apologize that there is not much at the moment to critique - but please fill out the survey, and if you have any recommendations, please leave me a comment! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I think your audio is great so far! (Yours is actually the first from our class that I've seen that actually has narration up yet, so go you!) I think your pacing is really good, and your inflection is too.

    I'm torn about the music too. My current plan for mine is narration only but if I can find music that really fits I will probably work it in because I think it might make for a more well-rounded digital story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, I actually created a Cyberbullying Webquest for one of my classes in the past. The following link will bring you to my website and it's under the WebQuest tab. Feel free to use it if you'd like. It was really effective with my students last year.

    https://sites.google.com/site/freitag570/home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see that you are creating this and will be able to use it with your students at some point. It is a real important subject that needs to discussed students at all academic levels. I think you will have to try the muisc in the story to see if it is going to blend well with your slides and narrations. I look forward to viewing your final story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Frank. I think this is a really great topic for a digital story, especially for high school students. Students need a lot of education on this issue. I would definitely recommend using some sort of music for the background. I think it adds a nice effect. I think a soft, subtle song would work well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job with the narration and the topic you have chosen is very important. I too would suggest some music in the production. This is a great start and I very much look forward to viewing the final story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your topic is an important one, and it's hard to get through to teenagers about this stuff as they pretty much roll their eyes to every type of advice. I like that you're keeping it basic, not going for the "emotional effect" which I think sometimes comes off as cheesy and kids laugh it off. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete